Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Are You Out There?


Acrylic on Canvas Board  10" x 14"

Satellite dishes are a vital link everywhere but especially in Nunavut.  All sizes are sprinkled around Iqaluit such as this large one looking up and out, over Frobisher Bay. In town, I saw a weathered old two room house that looked like it might tip off its pilings from the weight of an extra large dish.

I’m heading home to Vancouver today after two weeks of doing my favourite things – time with one of my daughters, being outdoors and painting. I feel satiated and rested although frustrated with my paintings. This plein air stuff is tough! I will have to learn to paint faster to make it work.

The book I am reading now is:  The Incredible Eskimo- Life Among the Barren Land Eskimo by Raymond de Coccola & Paul King.  It is the memoir of a Jesuit priest who lived and worked in Arctic Canada for about 10 years starting in the mid-1930s. I can't put it down and plan to finish it on my flight back to Vancouver.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley,

    You're paintings are amazing, congratulations. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip up North.

    Lots of love,
    Norb, Amber and Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really captures something special about Iqaluit Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your paintings quite lovely - the surfaces and the colors especially. I generally do not do well with landscapes - but you present them in a way that i can get in to. Great work!

    ReplyDelete